Skip to Content
The Law Offices of W. Douglas McKeague The Law Offices of W. Douglas McKeague
Call Us Today! 714-888-4830

How Long Do I Have to Pay Alimony?


Alimony payments are designed to provide financial support to the spouse who has less income. There are 2 types of alimony: temporary and permanent. Temporary alimony is granted to help the spouse with less income handle financial expenses during the divorce process, while permanent alimony (also called long-term support) provides regular funds to a spouse after the divorce judgment has been finalized. However, it is typically not lifetime support, and can be modified later on if there is a change in circumstances. Temporary alimony lasts only until the divorce proceeding has been completed and a permanent alimony order has been enacted.

How Long You Have to Pay Alimony 

For permanent alimony, how long you will have to make payments depends on several factors, including the length of the marriage. If you were married for less than 10 years, you generally will pay for half of the time you were married. If you were married for 8 years, you would pay alimony for 4 years. For marriages that last 10+ years, the court will consider several factors when deciding an alimony settlement. These include the post-divorce income of both spouses, the marital standard of living, and the age and health of both parties.

Alimony payments will end when the receiving spouse remarries or either spouse passes away. Alimony may also be reduced, halted, or otherwise modified by a further court order if a material change in circumstances can be proven. This may involve the loss of a job, relocation, or other change in circumstances.

Dedicated to Meeting Your Legal Needs

At The Law Offices of W. Douglas McKeague, we have guided numerous clients to successful legal solutions. If you are divorcing and have concerns about alimony, child support, or other issues, our firm can help. We will uphold your rights and help you make informed decisions every step of the way.

Contact us today to receive a free case evaluation.

Share To: